Hello, sunny faces!
The National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention has declared today Don’t Fry Day to increase sun safety awareness before Memorial Day weekend. Before you fire up the grill, or in our case, head to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Indy 500 (it’s in our backyard!), read up on sun safety to make this a fun, sun-safe weekend to remember!
Dr. Cynthia Bailey hands out some handy tips and startling stats regarding sun safety. Did you know that just one severe sunburn as a child can double your risk of getting melanoma as an adult? She gives five simple steps for staying safe in the sun:
- Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher.
- Wear sun-protective clothing.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat instead of a visor or baseball cap.
- Wear UV-blocking sunglasses – all of ours block UVA/UVB rays!
- Stay in the shade as much as you can.