Whether reading poolside, sunbathing on the beach, or headed to an outdoor concert with your friends, you can count on a skincare regimen that is slightly more involved this summer. After all, sun, chlorine, sea salt, and heat can can have unwanted and damaging effects on your skin. In order to prepare yourself for a summer of beautiful skin, I’ve prepared a list of summer skincare essentials. Don’t worry — they’re all super affordable!
- Sunless Tanner– The safest way to get a summer glow? Sunless tanner! While there are a variety of sunless options out there, it is important to get one that is not too dark for your skintone. I love Victoria’s Secret Sunkissed Bronze Instant Self-Tan Lotion. In addition to its great scent and instant tint, it goes on smooth with little streaking, and it’s only $12!
- Facial Moisturizer w/ SPF– As usual, it is super important to keep your face moisturized. The hard part is finding a moisturizer that is light enough to prevent your face from becoming greasy. Avoid using an all-over body moisturizer and look for one that is solely for the face. These tend to be oil free and typically include SPF, which is a plus. Put your best face forward with Garnier Skin Renew Anti-Sun Damage Daily Moisturizer with SPF 28 ($13), or choose a tinted moisturizer for an added glow.
- Aloe Gel– Get burnt? Aloe gel adds essential vitamins for repairing your skin after a sunburn, and let’s face it, it feels amazing! Stick this Banana Boat After Sun Aloe ($5) in the fridge and rub it on overexposed areas for soothing relief.
- Facial Scrub– When it comes to your face, expect to spend a little more time protecting against the harsh summer elements. Whether your skin is greasy from the heat, or dry from too much sun exposure, facial scrubs are great for clearing away dirt and dead skin cells. The Clean & Clear Morning Burst collection is not only sold at retailers everywhere, but also comes in multiple varieties to ensure that you find one for your skin type. The best part? It retails for about $5!
- Sunscreen– It’s no surprise that the most important summer skincare item is sunscreen! While you may be working on a summer bronze, it is important to protect yourself from the sun’s damaging effects. It is recommended that you use a Sun Protection Factor of at least 15. I love Carol’s Daughter Gelee de Solei Browning Oil ($15), for its moisture and amazing scent. Don’t want an oil? Hawaiian Tropic Shimmer Effect ($9) is available in a variety of SPF levels, and adds a gorgeous touch of shimmer! Get more summer skincare tips from this great online source, The Sun Authority.
- After-Sun Moisturizer– This Supre Hempz ($10) herbal moisturizer contains Vitamins A, C, & E, provides hours of moisture, and comes in a variety of delicious scents! Rub this on after a day in the sun to revive and smooth your skin.