Whether you’re swimming, surfing, windsurfing, kayaking, or just recreational boogie-boarding, nothing beats a day on the water. As you unleash your power and conquer the waves, don’t forget that the beating sun and glare off the water’s surface can do a number on your eyes. Before you hit the beach, slip on a pair of water-ready sunglasses so you can focus on really showing the ocean who’s boss.
Featured style: Ripcord #2194
Key Qualities of Sunglasses for Water Sports:
- Sunglasses with UV protection are key if you’re going to be spending time on the water.
- Wrap around style sunglasses will provide you with the best protection for a long day in the sun. You can see all of our wrap around styles here.
- Invest in a neck cord (like these) to prevent a huge wave from stealing your shades.
Lenses to Look For:
- Keep vision sharp on partly cloudy days
- Increase contrast
- Help differentiate between blue skies and darker water
- Provide clarity on bright days
- Reduce overall brightness
- Help block an additional 10-60 percent of visible light
- Reduce brightness on sunny days
- Reduce glare from water and sand
- Give you a wider scope of vision
- Create more definition
- Help you see across choppy water
For more on the benefits of different lenses, visit our Guide to Sunglass Tints.